Here’s an ad from the September 12 1928 edition of the Toronto Daily Star for a lunch restaurant that had just opened on Yonge Street.
Since the ad is referring to “a Bernard Sandwich Shop”, it implied that there was more than one of them. Searches didn’t turn up any information on a chain with that name.
In Toronto, there was only one Bernard Sandwich Shop, and it didn’t last long:
- The 1929 directory lists the shop at 137 Yonge with Geo Beard as its proprietor.
- In 1930, the shop was at 139 Yonge with J. B. Wolfe as its manager; Mr. Wolfe was also running a Bernard Service Station at 341 College.
- By 1931, both were gone; the 1932 directory lists Orange Creme Sandwich Fountains Ltd at 139 Yonge.