Here’s a random story from the June 6 1959 edition of the Toronto Daily Star that caught my attention:
Out of curiosity, I did some Google searching for some of the names mentioned in this story. Here’s what I found:
- There is a Getty Images photograph of Ms. Dowsett and Mr. Langley returning in a car after their marriage had been stopped.
- A car belonging to Harry Dowsett was put on sale (though it might now have been sold). This page contains more information: to get her away from Mr. Langley, Ms. Dowsett was sent on a tour of Africa and New Zealand, where she met her future husband, Michael Barclay of Hanworth Hall. They married in 1960.
- The same article pointed out that the elder Dowsett once accidentally shot his chauffeur-valet after a night of drinking. He was forgiven, but his firearms certificates were revoked.
- Mr. Barclay was in the news in 2006 when he was jailed for illegally buying prohibited specimens of birds for his egg collection. (His prosecutor was apparently named Andrew Bird.) The Guardian has an article about egg collecting.
- Here’s a photo of the Hanworth Hall grounds.